declarenews.com is an honest news portal website. We always provide the real, latest news of the world.

Lakers’ LeBron James on Perception He’s a Defensive Liability: ‘Come on with It’

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James reacts in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Memphis Grizzlies Monday, Feb. 25, 2019, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon Dill)

Brandon Dill/Associated Press

Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James is up to the challenge when it comes to those who believe he has dropped off defensively.

According to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports, James said Wednesday he has no qualms if teams want to attack him on the defensive end: “I mean, every team has the right if they want to single me out defensively. Come on with it. Hey, listen, come on with it. Every team has the right to be like, ‘Oh, ‘Bron’s over there.’ Hey, just come on with it. … We’ll see what happens.”

Haynes noted that some clips have circulated recently showing James out of position on defense, but he answered some of his critics Wednesday by forcing a late turnover and hitting a game-clinching three in a 125-119 win over the New Orleans Pelicans:

While the 34-year-old James is a six-time NBA All-Defensive Team selection, this season has been a struggle for him and the Lakers as a whole. LeBron missed significant time with a groin injury suffered on Christmas Day, and the Lakers are three games out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference at 30-31.

Prior to Wednesday’s win, the Lakers had dropped four of their previous five games with losses to the Philadelphia 76ers, Atlanta Hawks, Memphis Grizzlies and Pelicans.

Despite the team-wide issues and questions about LeBron’s defensive performance, James has been productive when healthy this season. He is averaging 26.9 points, 8.7 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game for a young team that he has had to carry at times.

James is used to being under the microscope, and he insisted it doesn’t have an impact on him:

“I really don’t care. Criticism doesn’t bother me. I love to play the game and my teammates know what I do for them and that’s all that matters. … The only thing motivating me is how I can try to help my teammates be successful and trying to win ball games.

“So if [teams are] switching out on me with a guard and me having to try to get a stop, I mean, guys, they’re going to score. These are NBA players. I just try to make it tough on them. I tried to make it tough on Julius [Randle] all night, and obviously he was a monster, but I tried to make it tough on Jrue [Holiday] as well. To be able to get that stop for our team and then be able to make that shot for our team, that’s motivating for me. That’s all that matters to me.”

If the Lakers are going to make a run at securing a playoff spot, James is undoubtedly the biggest key in doing so. His offense will have plenty to do with that, but LeBron’s length and athleticism will need to be an asset defensively for L.A. as well.

The Lakers are 23rd in points allowed per game this season, and they need to improve defensively as a whole down the stretch to make it to the postseason for the first time since 2012-13.

Read More



from Declare News https://ift.tt/2NBf8T4
0 Comments